My most popular route. Most people think of driving to Yucatan and Quintana Roo from Brownsville / Matamoros. That is the traditional way. You could also cross at Los Indios or McAllen / Reynosa and get to Yucatan.
Drivers choose this route to the Yucatan Peninsula (and Guatemala or Belize) for these reasons:
1. Distance is about the same.
2. Almost the entire route is toll road.
3. It avoids the state of Tamaulipas, worriers consider it "safer."
4. For RV'ers especially, it is easier to drive. at Los Indios or McAllen / Reynosa and get to Yucatan.
1. You crisscross Mexico and get to know her mountains from 4,000 feet to 9,000 feet.
2. Although there are a few interesting spots to visit on the way, few do.
3. Tolls are pricey. You will pay more or less USD $200 for a car / pickup. RV's pay 1.5 the car rate.